Château de Grandchamp was the home of the Le Chevalier family for many hundreds of years. We have a parchment dated 1574 and signed by Bertrand Le Chevalier that gave us the idea we must find out more about the history of the Château and the family who lived here.
The original shape of the Château was quite different a central section with two wings either side forming a large U shape. The centre section remains but now has towers at either end. There is a beautiful dovecote built around 1802, an orangery built 1824, stables and outbuildings.
Throughout history Grandchamp has been at the centre of important events in the village. As the principal house in a commune a Château was an important building and the families who lived in them would be land owners and important members of the community.
Grandchamp was a large area of 150 hectares (375 acres) with three farms. A declaration was made in 1574 that describes the property, its boundaries and an inventory of all goods. An agreement between Bertrand Le Chevalier and the Lord to pay taxes, 13% of all goods produced and to collect rent.
The French Revolution During the 1790’s the Le Chevalier family allowed royalist soldiers to stable their horses at Grandchamp. This caused a lot of problems for the family. Their relative Pierre Le Chevalier de la Martre was arrested, charged and taken to Paris to face the guillotine He was not executed and returned to the family who planted “The Victory Tree” at Grandchamp to celebrate his return in October 1793.
On 1st August 1944 American soldiers were ambushed by German soldiers at Grandchamp. Known as The Battle of Le Rouvre many lives of German and American soldiers were lost. Farm buildings were destroyed. The Château was not damaged, but the family fled and hid until the battle was over.
Our Château is not open to the public but does allow visitors to the gardens for Journee du Patrimoine in September each year. A national weekend of celebration for French people to visit places important to their heritage and culture.